When you are a student, you know this pretty well how much brain rest is crucial for better knowledge understanding. Although, nowadays, it has become the opposite as students are lacking in taking their brain rest at a minimum with every passing day. Due to study stress and competition worries, they are showing carelessness in taking some time out to relax and refresh their brains for better study reasons.
Studying in the current era has become more challenging rather than beneficial. All it matters is that children are going faster and higher than others in the same class. Furthermore, competition between families in the name of children is becoming a more and more strong trend now. Parents are ruining the focus and determination of children just for the sake of their happiness or reputation. How bad is the mental situation of modern kids? Let’s find out:
The inadequate mental health of present students; causes and reasons
Why is every third student in schools and colleges found a victim of depression and anxiety? Why we found a student every third or fourth day collapsing or panicking due to study stress? This issue is not limited to specific countries or cities, but rather every country or town in the world with high educational standards. How much pressure is developing that children are doing suicides just for handling fees and study stress for their schools and colleges? It’s not a small issue to discuss, and it needs solid reasons to be adequately elaborated.
Below are some reasons, and their causes stated to understand better how does lack of sleep affects students?
- An excessive amount of homework and projects bring anxiety and stress over the student’s minds, especially during exam days, where their priority is to reach a certain level of passing numbers to get by the class. It leads to constant worry and depression, making the student restless and sleepless.
- Second is the competition that is generally caused by two sources, personal reasons or parental pressure. Multiple brilliant students in one class tend to compete for each other in grades to get ahead in every field from each other. Some parents put study pressure over their kids due to family traditions, comparison over siblings or cousins, or they want their kids to fulfill their parents’ dreams. It brings a child to think negatively and becomes hopeless for life without expecting any good from their future.
- Late-night activities give a terrible push to sleep deprivation, and it can have multiple causes. As for students, the reason is their study time as they do not have enough time to do any other extra activities. Students with more concern for studies tend to stay awake for study purposes, not something else. They may get to finish their homework or prepare for the exam, but they lose their sleep for the next day, creating sleepy and non-focused feeling inside the head, which leads to lousy exam attempts.
- Some students try to merge down everything into their schedules, including studies and personal time. Screen time is taking up space in student’s heads along with reviews, which can be felt dangerous just from imagining it. Eyes are taking in more than they are capable of, forcing our brains to overwork and get tired for the next day.
- Institute pressure is also known as the cause of inadequate sleep in students. Students topping in their exams have peer and family pressure from all sides, and besides that, their teachers and foes keep pulling them towards doing more than they expect. Boosting and appreciating someone is one thing, but forcing your advice upon someone who is merely balancing his life between studies and home is a lot more than an excellent situation to handle for the student.
How to cope with stress and get a good night’s sleep?
After learning about how the stress of studies and peer pressure affects a student’s sleep cycle, we will discuss some positive and practical solutions to cope up with this sleep deprivation problem of students. We have gathered up some helpful tips for students that are struggling for sleep times in their daily routines.
- Plan your schedule according to your natural rhythm. Do not force yourself to manage into specific hours where you cannot concentrate properly. Usually, there are three kinds of students, owl-larks, and finches. Owls are natural sleep ditchers; larks take up everything before time, and finches are somewhere in between these two categories. It’s not essential to be of a specific group, choose what suits you best, and add in your activities accordingly. Make sure you leave space for sleep at least 7 hours before your school or college time.
- Follow the schedule you make and stick to it. Do not let yourself get lazy or careless over something personal or non-productive. Health and study both go together.
- Keep away from the bed as much as you can before sleep time. Keep yourself busy and distracted with activities if your work is done. Staying in bed or couch makes you distracted from schedule and ruin sleep timings.
- Develop an early morning person habit and do activities more than usual in the morning times.
- Make sure you leave your gadgets and mental stress away before bedtime. Carrying a burden along with you before bedtime will never let your brain rest and sleep.
- Avoid mini naps in the day time or lounging around bed or couch. It’s ok to rest, but make sure you leave the place after 30-40 minutes.
- Make your sleep time comfortable with no lights.
Please make sure you complete your activities before bedtime and make it a habit. Sleep is essential, no matter how busy your life is at the present moment. Studying is only possible when your mind has all the rest it needs.
To know more, Click here